5 Healthy Tips on a Budget
1. First and foremost: Eat whole foods. Avoid boxed, canned, pre-packaged, frozen and microwave products. Whole fruits, veggies, meat, grains that you process yourself are always cheaper. And bonus...real nutrients our body thrives on!
2. Chop your own veggies. Any pre-processed food will have added cost. (and now you'll have scraps!)
3. Make broth from veggie scraps. Save all the celery butts, broccoli stalks, onion bits, etc! Freeze in large ziplock bags until you have enough to fill a stock pot. Fully cover frozen veggie bits with water, bring to boil, and simmer low for 3-4 hrs. Cool fully, strain out veg scraps and freeze broth in tupperware. Wa-lah FREE soup base, or anything savory that calls for water.
4. Buy in bulk. Find the grocery near you with a nice bulk section to re-fill jars or bags. This can save you a ton in the long run. Especially on things like spices, tea, nuts/seeds or grains/beans. And bonus...BIG reduction on garbage & recycling waste!
5. DIY All Purpose House Cleaner:
32oz spray bottle= Fill ~1/3 bottle with white vinegar, 10 drops grapefruit seed extract, fill rest with H2O. Shake.
This costs approx $0.50 per 32oz bottle to make.